UPDATED MARCH 2023
It’s almost March Break – and while kids are counting down the days, parents can be a little stressed as they try to figure out how to keep the family busy!
Whether you’re looking for a little ‘staycation’ fun, or a camp to fill the kids’ days, here are some ways to make the most of March Break in Waterloo Region. (And don’t forget – you can take advantage of the new Staycation Tax Credit and book at any of our hotels, motels and inns for a fun family getaway!)
March Break Fun in Waterloo Region
- THEMUSEUM – This March Break, explore the world from the comfort of THEMUSEUM! They’re offering a week long day camp where campers will learn all about different countries and cultures from special guests. The Underground Studio Makerspace also offers a March Break Camp that will focus on our planet, and weather.
- Waterloo Central Railway – experience their Scenic Winter Weekend Rides
- Dinosaur Walk Thru – the Dinosaur Walk-Thru returns to Bingemans jus in time for March Break! Get up close and experience lifelike roaring dinosaurs in an authentic park setting. Re-discover the era lost to time with even more roaring dinos of Jurassic size, some as big as 30 feet high!
- Castle Kilbride – is offering a special 45-minute family tour called Old Tyme Toys where families can check out the many unique and unusual toys in the museum’s collection. Tickets are required.
- St. Jacobs & Aberfoyle Railway – is open daily during March Break for big fun on a small scale. They’ll also be at the Kitchener Model Train Show taking place at Bingemans on Sunday, March 19th.
- Drayton Entertainment Youth Academy Boot Camps – Join the Drayton Entertainment Youth Academy for five days of singing, acting and movement with its two new training programs – Disney on Broadway and Broadway Blockbusters.
- Waterloo Region Museums – At the Ken Seiling Waterloo Region Museum kids can Celebrate Earth with different themes each day.
Over at Schneider Haus their March break line-up is sure to be fun for the whole family, especially for those who love food. And over at McDougall Cottage, you’re invited for tea – including a bug-themed tea party!
- Chicopee Tube Park – is open (weather permitting) so you can get in your last tube runs of the season (Insider Tip: get your tickets in advance as days can sell out fast!)
- Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory – Experience the wonder of Magical Morphos while walking amongst thousands of Blue Morpho Butterflies. Hours are extended during March Break.
- Canadian Clay & Glass Gallery – offers a March Break Art Camp where campers can get inspired by exhibitions at the gallery and then create their own masterpieces
- Wilmot Recreation Complex – The Township of Wilmot if offering two March Break camp options at the Wilmot Recreation Complex. Kids ages 6 to 12 will enjoy games, activities, crafts and more at the day camps, and kids ages 9 to 13 can be part of the Junior Lifeguard Club.
- Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery – has its Break for Art camp where kids can dabble with paint, draw, build a sculpture or experiment with materials they might be trying for the first time.
- Kitchener Market – Their hands-on Kids In the Kitchen camp brings everything your kids love about the Kids in the Kitchen program to a week-long camp! Your entire family can also take part in the Market’s Family Cooking Class and learn how to make a delicious Thai meal!
- Homer Watson House – has 2 camps to choose from: Drawing & Watercolour and Clay & Sculpture
- rare Charitable Research Reserve – invites adventurers to be part of their March Break Eco Camp. Explore unique habitats across a natural landscape, learn from special guests, visit North House, Springbank Gardens, partake in environmental art and nature-based crafts and activities, and create a journal of your time at rare.
- Celtic Kids Camp – as part of the Irish Real Life Festival, this 2-day camp will allow kids to explore and celebrate the rich history and culture of Ireland through dance, crafts, and stories.
- Freddy Fusion’s Magic Science Show – Get ready for the ultimate blend of magic and science with the Freddy Fusion Magic Science Show at the Hamilton Family Theatre in Cambridge. Kids will love the hands-on demonstrations, while adults will be amazed by the scientific explanations behind the magic!
- KW Titans – take in a professional basketball game with your Kitchener Titans at The Aud
- Kitchener Rangers – catch an exciting Junior A hockey game with the Kitchener Rangers at The Aud
- Ctrl V – to experience some ‘virtual’ fun as you play together with family and/or friends. Try one of their new Virtual Escape Rooms – fun for 1-6 players
- KW Escape – get your team together and see if you can figure out these multi-room, multi-level Escape Rooms
- Kitchener Humane Society – its popular March Break Camp includes a week of fun with animal themed activities for children ages 6-12 years.
- City of Waterloo – from free public skates to a day camp that will ROCK OUT campers, the City of Waterloo has lots of fun activities planned!
- City of Kitchener – join in the fun by registering your children for all of the fun and interactive March Break programming
- City of Cambridge – check out Cambridge’s online portal to find out about March Break program offerings and locations.
- Don’t forget to check out what all the local libraries have in store during March Break!
Have fun and enjoy March Break as you Explore Waterloo Region !