Have you ever wondered how important Tourism is to Waterloo Region?
Tourism brings outside dollars into our region, which results in economic development and job creation.
DYK: One in 11 jobs in Canada relies on the Tourism industry!
As you attend local festivals and events throughout the year, you probably don’t think about the economic impact they have on the community. And they are just one part of the tourism equation. Meetings and conventions, sporting events and tournaments, as well as our local attractions all encourage growth across a number of sectors and industries!
September 27th is World Tourism Day, and it’s an opportunity to showcase the economic and social impacts of the tourism industry here in Waterloo Region.
Use #ExploreWR to join us in celebrating World Tourism Day, and read below to find out why Tourism Matters in Waterloo Region.
How does tourism contribute to Waterloo Region?
- Creates employment
- Promotes cultural awareness and helps preserve local culture
- Encourages volunteerism (festivals, events and tournaments)
- Builds community pride in the local population
- Increases product development, spending and infrastructure improvements which benefit the local population
Quick Facts about Tourism in Waterloo Region*
- 4,800,000 annual visitors
- $357,280,000 is spent annually by tourists to Waterloo Region. Local restaurants, retailers, accommodations, transportation, the arts, and recreation all benefit from the dollars spent here
- Tourism results in over 1,200,000 overnight stays
- 2,583 local tourism-related businesses employ 26,820 people**
- Waterloo Region is a bronze certified sustainable tourism destination
*Statistics reflect 2016 figures which are the latest available from the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport*
**Statistics from Tourism Industry Association of Ontario Tourism Business & Jobs Per Riding**