People love The Walper Hotel for many reasons. For some, it’s the hotel’s central location in Downtown Kitchener. Others love the iconic charm of this 1893 landmark, while still others return to the Walper because of its modern amenities and smartly designed gathering spaces.
Here’s another reason to love The Walper – it has made a conscious decision to support environmentally green initiatives. Here are some of its sustainability actions that are helping The Walper reduce its environmental footprint in Waterloo Region.
- Newly launched Bicycle Program –The Walper provides complimentary bicycle use for corporate and leisure travelers. Take two wheels instead of four to your next meeting!
- Lexus SUV Shuttle Service – The Walper chose the Lexus SUV as the vehicle of choice for its shuttle service because it’s eco-friendly, locally manufactured and one of the best in its class for reduced emissions.
- Boxed Water – No plastic water bottles at The Walper! Just Water’s boxed container is 100% recyclable and made primarily of responsibly-harvested paper and plant-based plastic.
- Bamboo Toothbrushes – For guests who need a toothbrush, The Walper provides an eco-friendly toothbrush made entirely from organic bamboo – a sustainably grown product. The bristles are made from nylon-4 which degrades in less time than traditional bristles, and can be recycled after use.
- LED Lightbulbs – The Walper uses LED lighting throughout the hotel which is 80% more efficient than traditional lighting.
- Light Dimmers in Guest Suites – Dimmer switches only use enough energy to power the bulb at the setting of the dimmer. Not to mention they’re perfect for setting the mood!
- Skoha Bath Products – All of The Walper’s guest rooms are outfitted with a shampoo, conditioner and body wash dispenser in the shower as well as a body lotion dispenser on the vanity – eliminating tiny, single use plastic bottles.
- Buck Naked Hand Soaps – These locally made, all-natural vegan soaps contain ingredients from sustainable sources. The soap is biodegradable, and its minimal packaging can be composted, recycled or reused. The company also partners with WE Charity, an international group providing clean water and education to communities around the world.
- Chemex In-room Coffee – Each room at The Walper features a pour over coffee station stocked with locally roasted coffee from Smile Tiger Coffee Roasters, eliminating the use of plastic coffee pods. And Smile Tiger Coffee is Direct Trade, transparently sourced, and roasted in small batches.
- Eco Straws –The Walper uses straws made from corn husks, which are stronger than paper straws, and are biodegradable.
- Pamuk & Co. Robes – These robes feel luxurious, while being gentle on the environment. Hand woven from 100% cotton, this flat weave, quick-drying material requires half the drying time of traditional terry cotton robes.
- Locally Sourced Ingredients – The culinary team at The Walper shops close to home! They support local producers including 5 Chicks & A Farmer, Mountainoak Cheese, and vendors at the St. Jacobs Farmers’ Market. Bars at The Walper are also stocked with products from local breweries and wineries.
- Cooking Oil Recycling Program – Used cooking oil from The Walper’s kitchen is recycled into a usable end product, and is turned into feedstock for the biofuel industry, or a nutritional supplement for livestock feed.
Discover more reasons to Love The Walper! See more at www.thewalper.com